Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Condiment City

Condiments seem to be a mixed bag, in that there are lots of plastic options but also lots of glass options. Here is my refrigerator door today, with each container marked according to type (milk, which I used up this morning, comes in a cardboard carton with no cap). The goal here is to reduce the red star containers as much as possible.



Anyway, red star containers include:
  • Anchovy paste - I can make this from metal-tinned whole anchovies
  • Dijon mustard - I will buy it in a jar next time (I have tried making it, but I have not been able to get it quite right)
  • Ketchup - there are glass bottle + metal cap versions
  • Newman's Own ranch dressing - I can make a ranch dressing (we don't go through it very fast, so it's better if I make small amounts as we need it)
  • Maple syrup - PCC Market has bulk maple syrup, so I can refill this
  • Sriracha - I don't think there are glass bottle versions, but I will look!
I have been making my own balsamic vinaigrette for at least six months now, and I just tried my hand at homemade mayo and it passed! The homemade mayonnaise was surprisingly easy to make, and I started off with a half-recipe (in case it was horrible), and did fiddle with the ingredient amounts here and there to make it taste as close to Best Foods (Hellman's) as possible. But it was very easy and keeps in the refrigerator for two weeks. Score!

What is striking to me is that we are all strongly encouraged to use plastic because of its convenience. I am unusual because I have the time and inclination to make my own foods and condiments, but most people just don't have that kind of time. Is there a way to give ourselves a bit more time each day? I don't know...

2 comments: