Friday, February 21, 2020

Personal Care Plastics


A very large percentage of personal care products are encased in single-use plastic packaging. We have already switched brands for some products, and are also trying out new products to make sure they will work for us. For me, it meant that on February 1, I put all my plastic-encased personal care products into a sack, which I stored away (note that my frugal side does not allow me to throw those items away, but rather, when it comes time to replace them, I will make plastic-free choices, or at least plastic-reduced choices).


Basically, anything medical-related is most likely (> 99%) going to involve plastic packaging, which includes my meds and the contact lens solution. I like the deodorant, made by Booda Organics, and the bulk body lotion from Eco Collective is very nice. The dental floss was made by Georganics, and we'll continue using it. I'm probably not going to switch my LancĂ´me or Ever skincare products, but they are mostly glass jars with plastic caps. Not perfect, but not 100% plastic, either. I haven't made up my mind about the conditioning shampoo bar - it is from Dulse & Rugosa, derived from kelp, so it is supposed to be good for the scalp, but I'm not sure whether it is conditioning enough, although my hair is soft and shiny. One bar will last, a long time, though! As for the other hair care products, I am using a dry spray-on conditioner for non-shampoo days, which is in a metal can with a plastic cap. The other Aveda hair products are in storage for the time being - and I really don't think I need them, since I have the moisturizing oil.

As for shaving, Thom has bought a shaving kit (which came in plastic of course) with shaving soap and a brush, and an old-fashioned metal razor with replaceable blades. I don't use a razor that often (thank you, genes), but my nephew Troy recommended the Leaf Shave razor, which I am planning to try out - they are all about plastic-free, including the packaging.

It can be a tricky thing to switch up personal care brands, but, although we cannot go completely away from plastic packaging, we can make a lot of progress in that direction - wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment