Saturday, February 15, 2020

Progress Week Two

A few more disposable plastic items crept into our lives this week. We now have three disposable plastic bags in the tub: one wrapper for a live basil plant (I just really wanted some fresh basil, dammit!), one empty bag of birdseed, and one bag that was wrapping a frozen sheet of puff pastry. I could have sworn the puff pastry was wrapped in paper, but I might have put plastic on it when I used the first one. I don't remember.

There is also a clear plastic box that an individual-sized cheesecake came in, that Thom brought home from work yesterday (Valentine's Day) - the wife of one of his coworkers had made them for everyone. This isn't something that we would buy, and what do you do when someone gives you a gift, and it contains disposable plastic? Say "thank you - that is very nice."

The other new item is the empty lotion container, but we have switched to a bulk shea butter lotion that we like, so we won't be buying plastic-encased lotion anymore.
Disposable plastic items after 2 weeks. We used up a tube of lotion, bought some live basil, and used up a bag of birdseed. Thom was gifted a small Valentine's Day cheesecake, which came in a plastic box.

Disposable plastic items after 1 week.
The birdseed bag is a tricky issue, because I looked around quite a bit online before making a few phone calls. There was one company that was very dedicated to the plastic-free concept, and had several brands that came in paper bags - woohoo! The downside is that they are located in Glasgow, Scotland - wanh wanh… Wild Birds Unlimited in Lake Forest Park has lots of selections, but nothing that doesn't come in a plastic bag. However, the guy I spoke with directed me to Skagit Wild Bird Supply in Mount Vernon WA, which he remembered as selling bulk birdseed, "but that was years ago." Well, I called them and Robin (perfect name for working in the bird supply business) told m that yes, they do sell bulk birdseed, as well as paper sacks. There also happens to be a brewery in Mount Vernon that I've been meaning to try, so... road trip!

3 comments:

  1. This is totally inspiring. We have some options here on Whidbey. And I think all the plastic bags at the Star Store are bio-degradable which is good for me because I use them for doggie poop pickup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An unrelated dilemma: Tennis strings, plastic or kill an animal?

      Delete
  2. Well, I suppose that I consume a LOT more animal than tennis strings, and the animals are not killed solely for tennis strings, but rather are using material that would otherwise be tossed out. So next time I will try animal strings. However, I don't consider tennis strings to be "single-use disposable".

    ReplyDelete