Monday, February 3, 2020

I Didn't Even Think About the Mail

About once a week I go through my incoming snail mail, which is largely bills and offers and various junk mail. Now, I actually do my bill-paying online, but I still receive many invoices through regular mail. Along with a lot of other crap. You know those see-through windows in the envelopes? Yep, plastic. Which means that today's bin is looking like this:
Some single use disposable plastic is mailed directly to me!
Yes, I had to cut out all those little plastic windows, both from incoming statements and invoices, as well as most of the included envelopes. Many of these were simply offers from various companies or solicitations from charitable organizations.

So it turns out that many of these originate from entities that I have never done business with. Well, it is possible to reduce the number of little plastic windows coming into my mailbox. Here are some options:
  • The USPS website links me to the Direct Marketing Association, which allows me to opt out of (a) catalogs, (b) magazines, and (c) other mail, for the reasonable fee of $2. However, it does take ~ 60 days to go into effect.
  • There is also another service that allows me to opt out of credit card offers, which I also receive regularly, but through a separate website. You can opt out easily for five years, or permanently, but you have to then mail in a filled-out form or provide your SSN (I'm not biting). I did the five year thing.
  • Write REFUSED on the offending piece of mail and return it to the post office or leave it in your mailbox as outgoing mail.
More information can be found here and here.

For me, there are still some invoices that I receive via mail, even though I pay all my bills online. I will make sure to contact them directly to resolve it. However, some of us are just more comfortable paying by mail. In that case, maybe suggest to these companies that they eliminate their use of plastic windows, even though these windows provide some protection against the elements and tampering. 

And reduction in junk mail may save some trees, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment